Thursday, October 19, 2006

Christmas???

Please, nobody shoot me for bringing this up so early, but do we want to draw names again this year? I'm starting to think about Christmas gifts, and I was wondering if we could nail something down.

I liked the drawing names thing, but it might be hard to get us all together. Maybe we could just do a "chart" for the next five years (yes, I'm being a nerd about this) and not have to think about it again.

What about something like this for this Christmas (using just the sibling names to make it simpler)

Dayton--gift for Will
William--gift for Laurance
Laurance--gift for Emily
Emily--gift for Charles
Charles--gift for Dayton (this last part kind of makes sense since he'll be over there for Christmas!)

Over the next few Christmases we could mix it up so everyone gets everyone one year. (So, Christmas '07: D/W, W/L, L/E, E/C, C/D. Christmas '08: D/L, W/E, L/C, E/D, C/W. Christmas '09: D/E, W/C, L/D, E/W, C/L. Christmas 2010: D/C, W/D, L/W, E/L, C/E.)

Just an idea. Of course, if someone is feeling especially giving :) they could give gifts to everyone. I don't want this to limit anyone's giving impulses--but realistically we all have many other people to buy for.
-Emily

4 comments:

Laura said...

Glad you're already thinking of this-I've been wondering about it too. Only thing is those who get Dayton or Charles have to spend lots of extra money just on shipping. I know when we got Dayton/Erin and kids presents last year, we spent more on shipping it than the gifts. Kinda crazy!
(Of course, Charles won't have to for Dayton this year, but you would for Charles). I guess if we keep switching it around though, each of us will eventually pay more for shipping so it will be fair. What do you think?

Erin said...

I don't know if I really like exchanging names. I'd rather do a little something for each person. OR we sometimes just give cards only and save gifts for when we're in the US.

As for gifts for us, you really don't have to! One thing my parents did last year was tell us they wanted to buy Grace a doll so for us to go pick it out for her and then they just paid us back. Saved on shipping. Gift cards work well too because most of the big companies ship overseas.

Laura said...

Erin-some good ideas..so i guess Walmart would ship overseas then? the card thing is good too-and then holding the presents for y'all/chuck till you're in the states again.
Em-if we used this-the 3 of us in the states could still draw names-(we could get yours, you could get L&K, and L&K get ours) and then we could each do cards for Chuck and Dayton/Erin and either send gift cards for them or just wait until they're here again to do real gifts. How does this sound?

Emily said...

Laura, that sounds fine. I didn't think about the shipping thing.
So we three couples here in the states can exchange, and then send gift cards or just cards overseas--sounds good. Too bad about the ridiculous shipping! I have been seeing some really cute outfits for Grace that I've been tempted to get :)
So, Erin, what stores do you have over there that would work as far as gift cards? Walmart--anything else? -Em