Sunday, March 20, 2011

Josiah's Birth Story

Birth Story

I'm writing this out now, while the kids are with Grandma and Jeff and I are still at the birthing center. I think there is more time for this now than there will be later!

So many things worked out as far as timing for this birth. Of course, since my other two were two weeks late, I was not expecting this baby for another month. We had been needing another vehicle to handle three carseats, but needed to wait for tax returns, bonus etc. Once the funds came in, several delays happened. First rotavirus made its rounds at our house. Someone was sick for almost two weeks' time, and Jeff had it for a week, the same week he was required to work 12-hour days (which he DID while sick!). Then he left for a weeklong design conference in Texas. That week was tiring, with no break from the kids and my worsening back pain, plus a busy teaching schedule and a trip to Greenville for a prenatal appointment.

Jeff's return on Thursday was a big relief. I had been feeling tired, not sleeping well, and emotional. Friday Jeff went out and found a wonderful, God-sent deal on a van. Saturday we looked forward to our first "normal" day in a while, with Jeff home and nothing big on the schedule. Friday night, however, I had Braxton Hicks on and off and didn't sleep well. They were not painful, but were continuous. I was sure it was false labor and didn't take them seriously. I taught a piano lesson Saturday morning, still having regular Braxton Hicks. Since they were not going away, I decided to start packing our bags when we returned home from errands that afternoon. I had everything packed by 4:00 and decided to call Amy and see what she thought. She said since they were regular it might mean something, and to slow down, pay attention to how they felt, and call back in an hour. I had a strong contraction that forced me to stop and breathe right before I called her. She said to come on to Greenville since we were 2 hours away. I decided to cut Jeff's hair first as we waited on a load of laundry to dry. (I'm still amazed we actually remembered everything we needed to bring. I had not finished assembling my labor bag ahead of time because I thought I had another month!)

We got the kids packed into our new van and had a comfortable drive up..though through a lightning storm...dropped the kids off with their grandma and arrived at the birthing center around 9:45 pm. I was still feeling fine and was able to talk through contractions. They were strong enough to make me "fuzz out" mentally (Jeff thought I was spacey, but he was still chatting about work stuff, etc., convinced we had weeks to go) but were not what I'd call painful.

Amy checked me and I was 6 centimeters already, with no pain! That amazed me and gave me a positive outlook on this labor (which I had frankly been just not stoked about.) She also checked the baby's position and found his head down, body aligned on the left side, but neck turned facing my stomach (partially posterior). However, since I'd already birthed a baby who was totally posterior with no complications, she was not really concerned. I was finding comfort in the fact that he was early, and therefore probably smaller. In fact, at my last prenatal I had measured 35 weeks instead of 38.

My contractions were just not painful, still. Strong, but not hurting. Jeff and I got settled in to our gorgeously remodeled bed-and-breakfast style birthing suite (how spoiled we are! It is truly gorgeous), I used Hibiclens for my Group B Strep (an antiseptic; alternative to antibiotics and IV) and got a hot shower. Then I sat on the birthing ball and tried to sleep a bit between contractions. They were 7-10 minutes apart. I didn't feel the need for any labor support, so Jeff got some sleep. I was honestly a little bored, walking around totally relaxed in between contractions. I did my makeup because I never have time to take my time and do that with the kids around. (I'm one of those road hazards who applies eye liner at the stop light.) I enjoyed peeking into the other rooms (all remodeled since we had our last here). I kept hoping labor would stay this painless. I've heard of painless births. Rare, but possible. Around 1:30 am Amy peeked in and asked if I'd been able to sleep. I told her no, and that things seemed to be staying the same. She asked me why I wasn't lying on the bed…maybe I could sleep some there. Actually contractions were much more painful on the bed. She suggested that "painful" might mean "progress" so maybe I should try a few contractions on the bed if I'd like to speed things up. I tried it and wow, contractions were much more powerful. By the third, my water broke. I was still feeling fine in between contractions. I woke Jeff and he got Amy. The water breaking was a relief, but after that contractions were stronger and longer. I stayed on the bed on my side and held Jeff's hand during contractions. He said he was amazed I was still making jokes occasionally (Jeff was trying to coach me on my breathing and I just told him "Your breath stinks"). He remembered transition with Lydia and how agonizing that was, and this was nothing like that. I started shaking with cold and excitement (and transition as I guessed later) and a blanket fresh from the dryer felt wonderful. A few contractions later I felt like pushing. I was remembering the effort it took to get Lydia out and was ready to take the bull by the horns and get this over with. I was still on my side and not wanting to move...my legs felt tight and tense…so Amy and Jeff moved me on my back and I started a powerful push that Jeff said would have had him out in seconds. Amy had to slow me down and have me do short pushes. I was just so ready to get him out at that point. I was vocalizing a lot until Amy said to hush so I wouldn't hurt my voice. Josiah's head had turned anterior some time in the labor, so he came out with the correct presentation. I got his head out, then he stuck out one elbow which Amy looped out (still telling me to slow down) and then he was born. I kind of enjoyed the pushing (though it was painful) because I could tell it was actually working, whereas at Lydia's birth it felt I would never be able to push her out because of her posterior position and large size. Once he was born we saw a knot in his umbilical cord. He started making small whimpering noises as soon as he was born. He is a quiet, calm, easy little guy, and nursed well right away. He was born on the first day of spring at 2:56 a.m., under a full moon, and weighed 7 lbs 15 oz, 20.5 inches long.
This third labor was such a surprise as to the timing and the type of labor. Early pains were easy to deal with, and pushing was quick and effective. (I did have pretty bad afterbirth pains this time.) I don't know exactly what causes labor to be painful or not painful, but you just never know what you're going to get until you're in the middle of it. This labor was surprisingly easy, and if I'd been more rested and this were my first baby, I'd end up thinking there was not much to birthing babies!
We'll see how I do when Josiah joins the rest of our tribe and I'm home alone with three. Right now, though, I'm feeling pretty optimistic about this baby thing and…dare I say it…thinking about our next…?

4 comments:

rcsnickers said...

Beautiful birth!!!! I have never heard of Hibiclens. I am thankful you had a partially painfree birth! Scary with the knot on the cord. Enjoy the babymoon....

Dayton said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful birth story Emily! Please give Josiah a hug for me.

Erin said...

Yay, what an awesome story. So happy it was easy for you :) Knots in cords are rarely a problem, so not so scary! Sounds like it wasn't a painful labor, just lots of pressure and then easy pushing. And now onto life with 3!

Laura said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful story. Born on the first day of spring, how lovely! I'm so thankful God worked out all the details for you right before the birth and then gave you a relatively relaxing birth. Love you, sweetie!