Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Joining the Gym

Jeff and I have always wanted to work out together, but, working at BJ, there were separate facilities for men and women. As newlyweds we used to drive over to the gym together at 6 a.m., but once we got there, we had to go our separate ways.
Lucky for us now there is a very nice Bodyplex just down the road with good childcare. Dues are pretty reasonable and you get free classes and a state-of-the-art facility. Sauna, bike room, aerobics room, a whole floor full of treadmills and elliptical trainers upstairs, plus weight machines downstairs. They sell smoothies and protein shakes in the lobby. The nursery is spacious and well-equipped and everyone we talked to there seemed friendly and happy with their job. So...after a trial cardio workout with my hubby, I decided to sign on.
I predict it will be a lot of fun. We're both doing something we enjoy doing (not the SAME OLD workout video) and we're doing it together, which bumps up the fun 100%. Also, he's really good at pushing me the extra mile. Or quarter mile. I started out easy b/c I wanted to be able to walk the next day!
We figured out we can probably work out together four days a week. Every Monday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday we're going to do our best to be there.
After working out yesterday I felt this huge rush of positive feelings. It's just the endorphins, but I'd forgotten how exercising makes me feel, and realized how mopey, slow and "blah" I've been feeling. This will be a great change for both of us...and I'll (hopefully) soon have a few more clothes in my closet I can wear. :)

4 comments:

rcsnickers said...

You are so right about the endorphions fighting the bad mood away. I know that is my main problem right now. Glad you two can do this together for the great price too!

Elizabeth said...

So proud of you! It is so much better to do it together!
The american heart association reccommends 3 days a week so 4 is amazing! If you want a workout plan let me know: I love doing them and do them for my patients all the time and occasionally for me...

Emily said...

Elizabeth...if you have other ideas for variety I'd love to have them! I might need something to break things up. They say if you change workouts you can break your fitness "plateau" and burn more fat/gain more muscle...true?
Right now it's all cardio on the elliptical trainer. We'll have to figure out when we can do weights...Jeff has some experience and he's going to spot me (scary since he tends to push and I tend to get wimpy) :P I used to lift weights a lot by myself based on what he told me, but it's been a while!

Laura said...

Sounds like a great facility, Em. And that's great that you and Jeffrey can work out together. I've been thinking about joining the Y here-they have some good pilates/yoga classes. We'll see. You know how well Ella does in "nursery" types settings. :-)