Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Not a Cat Toy

Some of you know I have a desire to be craft-y but not a ton of skill. I've been trying to teach myself to crochet on and off for about three years. Well, I've solved the problem of uneven ends. WIth a circular rug there are no ends to mess up! This is my first attempt...a rug for Benjamin. Jeff said it's the best-looking project I've ever done. Which isn't saying a whole lot...most of the others ended up as cat toys. This one took about six hours to make, though I should be faster on the next. I used cotton yarn which has a nice clean soft feel. There's less stretch which makes it a little bit harder to work with, but the texture is really nice.

7 comments:

rcsnickers said...

well I am impressed! It looks good and soft!

Laura said...

It looks great, Emmie! Oh to live closer so I could get some crafty instruction. :-)

Emily said...

Forgot to say, Ma-Ma taught me the basic pattern when we were there last!

kittyrat234 said...

I greatly admire the handicraft ability, Em, even if the craft did have uneven ends. I admire even more the beauty of your latest project. It looks perfect.

When I announced to my co-workers that I was thinking of taking up knitting, two of them held onto each other and laughed until they cried...

Mom25Munchkins said...

I've taught myself to crochet using this book: you might like to get this little kit. It's really well-illustrated: http://www.amazon.com/Crochet-Learn-Great-Projects-Klutz/dp/1570548706/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211428775&sr=8-5
But anyway, your rug is great!:)

Mom25Munchkins said...

Maybe I should say, I'm teaching myself to crochet...:)

Emily said...

Thanks Noelle, I'll definitely check it out!

Julie, if you can learn to knit you're a better woman than I. It seems complicated. I'd love to learn though!