Saturday, October 20, 2007

Infant acne

Okay, it's morning and I'm braindead, so thought I'd post about...baby acne.

It's normal, it's tempting, and it goes away in a few weeks (so I'm told).

Benjamin was born with it. The reason is not clear but most say it's the result of the hormone dump babies get toward the end of pregnancy. There is nothing you can do for it...creams and lotions don't help, and washing too much can just irritate it.

But it's so hard to just do NOTHING. Those of you who know how much I love to pick will appreciate my agony. The little bumps are just so round and...juicy.

Okay, okay. I'll admit I popped one on his ear. I was amazed how little it seemed to hurt him...no reaction at all. I was so tempted to go on and pop every single one on his face. But to my credit I resisted. Now I'm going to go find Jeffrey and see if there are any little bumps on his shoulders.

Yes, I know I need therapy. :D

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, Emily. While I do identify with your temptation, as you know . . . I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU BLOGGED IT!
We did get a good laugh out of it, though.

Anonymous said...

that was me, alison, by the way. Didn't mean to be anonymous.

Emily said...

Sleep deprivation removes inhibitions, what can I say? :D

Mom25Munchkins said...

I'm sorry to say, this has also been a temptation for me and I am proud of how often I have resisted. We won't talk about the other times...:)

Laura said...

I can relate, dear, I'm an ear picker remember? Will hates to see me coming! And Ella has little bumps on her arms and I've popped a couple. She's old enough now though that she'll pull away and say, "No." :-)

Elizabeth said...

He he he: you so funny.



Dr. Rose's Unwanted Advice:

In your fingernails are tons of tiny organisms waiting to enter the new opening in the skin from popping acne. This opens the baby (and you) to infection and scarring. DON"T POP THE ACNE! I know of people who developed an infected zit which led to ear infection then brain infection: no lie. REsist the temptation, Don't pick at acne.Pay the paino, don't pop. Perform acrobatics, finger puppets, toe puppets, but pop: No No NO!
Love you!
Dr. Rose

Emily said...

Okay Dr. Liz, consider me sufficiently scared! Not only am I not going to pop his acne (Benjamin says "thanks you saved me from insane mommy") but I'm going to get a nail brush. I have to keep my nails long for guitar but I can see how they'd be bacteria beds (yuck).
Tanks for the advice. :D