Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Christopher Parkening masterclass

Last Friday I attended a masterclass at UGA with Christopher Parkening. I've always wanted to meet this amazing artist and having him this close, and free, it was too good an opportunity to turn down. Jeff took the day off and we packed up Benjamin and left early in the morning to get there at 9 a.m.

The students who played were college or grad school level. All of the playing was high-level and very inspiring. I came away from it wanting to practice! Parkening is a mild-mannered, gentle guy and you'd never guess he has such inner drive and discipline. He spoke matter-of-factly about his faith and said he meditates on certain verses before performances. His philosophy permeates his method books, which I still use and teach from. Parkening had great comments for each student and the first thing he did for each was compliment something they were doing well.

I wish we had been able to get a better picture, but just as we got to the front, he left!

Benjamin was pretty good, but fussy enough that Jeff had to stay outside with him for most of the class. I'm glad we got to go.

4 comments:

Nicole said...

Wow! I'm so excited for you. What an incredible opportunity!

Laura said...

Hey-went to his website to learn more about him-very interesting-really enjoyed reading his testimony. So glad you got to see him...and for free! And how wonderful it is that your hubby loves and appreciates good music as much as you do.
Love you and Happy Thanksgiving!

Will said...

Awesome!
So knowing you two outgoing fiends, I bet after this photo you skipped right up to the front to get to know him. Right? :-)

What a great opportunity.

Emily said...

Will, we tried, but got shortstopped because I stopped to tell one of the players how much I enjoyed his music...and he was really talkative. Just as we got to the front, Parkening made a hasty exit! We followed him out, but he was too quick for us. When we got out there was no one in sight but his...bodyguard, I think.
Yeah, Jeff was pretty upset with me. :)