Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Frugal Tip

Lately I'm on a frugality kick! Here's a way to make yummy-smelling inexpensive hand soap:

Buy storebrand liquid hand soap in bulk. Make sure you get a type that is not heavily scented. Then add a few drops of essential oil. You can buy .5 oz bottles on ebay for about $2, shipping included.

I have to confess I bought a lot of storebrand hand soap a while back, and had been regretting it ever since, trying to use it up...until I thought of adding a few drops of oil. Now the soap in the bathroom smells like gardenias instead of nothing.

To make handsoap go even farther, use one of those foaming dispensers. You won't need to buy soap again for years, literally. And if you get several bottles of essential oil you can change up the scent whenever you like.

I wonder if you could do this with bodywash, too? Or dilute a few drops and put it in the laundry with your sheets? Hmm...

My SIL gave me a bottle of pure rose water. I use a spray bottle when I iron, so I diluted some of that in the water to make everything smell a little fresher.

Now if I could just find a way to get that smell into the cat room...

4 comments:

Laura said...

Glad you're using the rose water-and what an interesting use too-I would have never thought of that. You're a genius, I tell you! :-) Love the handsoap suggestion-thanks!

Elizabeth said...

You really are on a roll! Better than Martha Stuart, your blog. I'm definitely going to try the hand soap scenting idea. Thanks!

Nicole said...

Em, You're so funny! That's a great idea, though. Believe me, I'm trying to keep my costs down, too, these days, with a wedding to pay for!

Emily said...

Just wait until you add a kid to the mix, LOL!