Sunday, September 14, 2008

These are my pjs. I made them.

You have to be a Nacho fan to appreciate those two quotes. I made "stretchy pants" for Benjamin. And no they're not frilly or made from a quilt.

I haven't sewn anything yet for Benjamin. FIrst of all I was dreading finding the right pattern, right size and blah blah blah. After all I can only sew one thing...A-line skirts for myself. But I found this amazingly simple pattern for toddler pants made from a recycled T-shirt. It requires hardly any sewing; it's only two pieces of fabric and some elastic. You just use the hems at the bottom of the shirt for cuffs. I love it!! I'm going to make a bunch more. I think it took me 15 actual minutes of sewing. I found the link here.



















I looked at the fabric leftovers trying to figure out what I could make with the rest of the shirt. Jeff said I should use the neckhole, which was kind of small, as a neckhole, and just cut out the sleeves from the sleeves. Brilliant!! Now tell me how a guy who has never sewn anything in his life gets all the good ideas. This adorable pj shirt took me about 15 minutes to make as well. I just cut toddler-sized arms and body from the existing shirt and used the hem at the shirt cuff as a long-sleeved cuff. You might need to adjust the sleeve length; these were a little long; so rather than cut off the ends and lose that professional-looking serged hem, I took it in at the "shoulder seam..." actually the seam that now hits baby at the elbow.















Here are the scraps I had left over, all ready to be recycled to the cleaning rags pile. I feel like a native American parcelling up a buffalo!! Am I frugal or what?

6 comments:

Erin said...

WOW!!!! That's so cool! You are so creative, and I know you'll use every scrap LOL

rcsnickers said...

love it! frugal indeed! will check out the link. thanks.

Elizabeth said...

And I taught you how to sew: how proud I am. You have exceeded your teacher yet again. You go girl.

Will said...

Streeetchy pants! Now your son is ready to be a man. Or whatever.

Emily said...

Thanks Erin...already used the scraps to clean up a mess :D
Letisha, I actually thought of your boys when I posted this. Boys are so rough on clothing. Though your boys might be too big to use this pattern...maybe you could try making shorts?
Elizabeth, every time I sew I think about our sewing days back at your house...grabbing fabric from your mom's huge stash and making Barbie outfits...ah memories!
Will, maybe next I'll work on making a sweet pointy-collared polyester shirt that will "look expenseeve."

Laura said...

Awesome-I'm so impressed! They're too cute.