Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Peeking in on our little Genie-us

Yesterday I had another ultrasound (standard policy for new patients at Preferred Women's). I didn't expect it to be so much fun!! First of all, I didn't have to drink 5 gallons of water within one hour and then have my bladder poked. In fact I didn't have to drink anything; and they said they would do an external ultrasound. Unlike my first ultrasound, they had a nifty screen on the wall that allowed me to see everything.
Fig Baby is AMAZING. He was sleeping when we first checked in on him, lying on his side with his back to us. (Good baby...you're on mommy's normal sleeping schedule...not waking up until 10...this appointment was at 9:00, so he was probably still in REM sleep!) We had to poke him a little to wake him up, and then he squirmed like he was grumpy about being waked up and was trying to snuggle back in and get comfortable! Finally, he woke up completely and started moving his hands near his face. He couldn't keep them away from his face, in fact. Rubbing his head, putting them in his mouth, just constantly moving. Then the legs started kicking. Tiny little skinny things. (Hmm...he/she probably has Jeff's skinny calves...the one part of him that won't bulk up, unlike my sturdy, thicker calves!) He stretched all the way out for us, and we could see his little rib cage.
The technician pointed out a lot of the features that I honestly couldn't see clearly myself, so I took a lot of it on faith, but some I could see plainly. The spindly blurr near his face she said were fingers. The two lobes of his brain I could see clearly, and his ear was clear in one pic, but facial features were blurry. It just made my day, though, to peek in on his world. It was like calling up a genie-in-a-bottle without knowing what they're doing...sleeping, taking a bath, whatever. How nice to have a little window in on Baby's Life! And what a life...comfy, warm, weightless...
I read something about the FDA limiting the use of ultrasounds to trained professionals only. This is ostensibly to discourage 3-D "keepsake videos" that expose the baby unnecessarily to a (potentially) harmful energy source. At first this seemed like a good idea to me, but what about crisis pregnancy centers? I think ultrasounds are the most effective tool they possess. I don't see how any mother could choose abortion after seeing her baby on an ultrasound. It's so obvious they're little people, even at 3 months.
Anyway. They gave me several pictures of the ultrasound (these are at 11 weeks, 5 days...almost 3 months, for you normal people. The "weeks" thing always annoyed me slightly. So, when the kid is twenty, are they going to be 1,045 weeks old?). They also "officially" confirmed the due date of Sept. 6th. I'll post the pics when Jeff can scan them in for me. :)

8 comments:

Laura said...

How absolutely exciting for you two to see your little one! :-) Glad he's a late sleeper--maybe he'll continue that after he's born and give you some much needed rest. :-)
I agree about Crisis Pregnancy Centers being able to use ultrasounds. I think it would cut down on a lot of abortions.

Thanks again for stopping by to see us-it was wonderful visiting w/y'all. And thanks for teaching me the basics of crocheting.

Nene said...

Ultrasounds are wonderful! I look back at Gracie's and just can't believe that it was really her. I agree that Crisis Pregnancy Centers should use ultrasounds! After seeing that tiny person moving around, how could a mother have an abortion?

Emily said...

It's really amazing how early unborn babies look human...at 3 months, organs and features are all in place...from then on they're just growing larger. I don't think I fully appreciated the miracle of how a baby grows in the womb until now!

Laura...we enjoyed our visit so much! Maybe I can start a scarf too and we can spend an afternoon finishing up :) It would get us ready for grannyhood when all we can do is watch "Andy Griffith" and crochet! :D

rcsnickers said...

Oh, the joy of seeing the little one from the ultrasound. It is fun, huh? Do you get a video as well? I know with my last two I got pictures and a video. Normal black and white not 3D/4D but still awesome to watch them kick, yawn, rub their head, suck their thumb, etc. Will you find out the sex of your baby or wait for the big surprise?

I recently watched "In The Womb" a National Geographic DVD using the 4D of a baby developing in the womb. It was just amazing to see. You should check your library for this video it is just amazing. I was glad they had a natural birth at the end. One part showed twins in the womb and I thought of Erin and what she is experiencing this time. How awesome....

Look forward to seeing your baby's first pictures.

Letisha

Elizabeth said...

Can't wait to see the pictures of your little one! How special and exciting! Can't wait to see the pictures: Hurry up Jeff!

Emily said...

Letisha--unfortunately our library doesn't have video/DVD rentals, but I can check with another library nearby. I would love to watch it with Jeff.

And yes, we're going to find out the sex! They told us we can videotape the next ultrasound, but we would have to convert it ourselves to DVD. Not sure what we'll do.

rcsnickers said...

I forgot to mention on the weeks thing. I totally agree. I am not a number of weeks person either. It always made me laugh when you say "oh I am 8 wks" when the baby is actually only 6wks! Why count the two weeks before fertilization! So you are technically pregnant for 38 wks UNLESS always late like me! I probably am really a 40wks pregnant person!

Letisha

rcsnickers said...

okay, not computer smart... just telling our experience.

I brought in a cd/rw and they recorded it on there. From there I could watch in on our dvd player. I remember it specifically having to be a rewritable because I originally did not bring that in and she just gave us one. Then on my next visit I brought one to return. Hope that works. Otherwise, I would not know how to put it on dvd. I am now learning how to record on my camera, put it on the computer to record on dvd towatch in the dvd player.

Who knows, maybe their machine is different. Sure Jeff is experienced in computer area and will know how to do it!

Letisha