Friday, July 27, 2007

Changing Care

We interviewed with Laura's midwife in Greenville yesterday. It went great, she answered all my questions, and reassured me about the distance (that was our main worry!) She has had clients from Atlanta and other places in GA before and said she could tell us when to come in. And, if it turns out to be a false alarm, we can spend the night at Jeff's mom's if necessary. :)

It wasn't an appointment but I told her we want to go ahead and switch, so she had a listen to the heartbeat and measured fundal height. She picked up something the OBs hadn't...a little skip or murmur in the heartbeat every few seconds. We could hear it very clearly ourselves. She said this could be nothing & often straightens itself out as the baby gets older, but wanted to monitor it in the future to make sure. I'm a little concerned about the murmur, of course, but was glad to find out about it. She also felt my belly to see what position the baby was in, and what I thought was confirmed...feet on the right side, rear on the left, head down.

B/t/w something I wanted to happen was for Amy & Jeff to click. It's very important that your caretaker and your coach be able to communicate well. I loved how she included Jeff in the conversation and even let him feel where the head was. She's an art collector & has more than a dozen pieces from Jeff's old art teacher. So they immediately had common ground and get along great.

My prenatals will be a little more of a hassle since I have to drive to Greenville, but so worth it in my opinion. The knot in my stomach is releasing (Jeff noticed right away that I was more relaxed...on the way home he told me I was no longer so tense when discussing birth!) I am praising God that it looks like this option will work for us.

5 comments:

Erin said...

Oh, Emily, that is such great news. I am so so happy for you. And that Jeff can feel more included. And yeah, a vertex baby! About the murmer, I was born with one, still have it, and I'm fine!

We are so excited for you!
Love, Erin

Emily said...

Thanks Erin, we're so glad to have the issue settled...a whole month ahead of time, LOL!

I had a murmur too up until my teen years, then grew out of it, so it's probably in the genes & I shouldn't worry!

Mom25Munchkins said...

I'm glad you've found something that you are comfortable with. Let me know how it goes. With my different birth stories, I never had a midwife.:)

Emily said...

Noelle...I'll let you know how it goes. B/t/w I've been trying to comment on your blog and having trouble logging in. Anyway, wanted you to know I'm a lurker! :)

Mom25Munchkins said...

Ooh, that's bad. i haven't been updating much anyway (mostly on Facebook) but I'll see what I can see.