Thursday, January 03, 2008

Happy New Year!


We had a great holiday, and spent time with Jeff's mom and grandmom, Mom and Dad, Ma Ma, Laurance and Kimberly, and Will and Laura. Seeing everyone makes me wish I lived closer! It was fun watching the cousins connect, even if Jonathan and Benjamin's first "play date" was a cry party! :D Boosie was so gentle with "Baby Benjen" and helped me fetch diapers and pacifiers for him. (She can say "pacifier." And "Ratatouille." Some of the other words are hard to make out but those are clear as day.)
We left the day before Christmas and came back the day after New Year's. After all the rush to decorate and get loose ends tied up before we left, we came back feeling like the holidays were over before they started! We did have a wonderful, relaxing time with family, though, and feel ready to start a new year.
New Year's day Jeff and I lit some candles and sat down to a planning session. Here are some of the resolutions I came up with. The best thing I've done for myself recently is made up a list of weekly chores and monthly chores (inspired by Martha Stewart's Homekeeping book, but leaving out any OCD parts such as dusting the smoke detectors!) I went for realistic and doable rather than perfect, and it feels great to know that "even though" the floor has cat hair on it, it doesn't matter, because I'm doing that TOMORROW.

1. Read at least 25 books this year. Finish up books I'm currently reading.
2. Brush up on my knowledge of French pronunciation for voice lessons.
3. Practice guitar more consistently. I'm doing a lesson every two weeks but still feel so unprepared every time.
4. Stick to my new cleaning regimen.
5. Read Bible and have devotions consistently, every day, no excuses. This has gone down the drain with unpredictable baby hours, but it's time to get serious.
6. Pray nightly for requests God lays on my heart. Jeff and I started doing this when my student was diagnosed with cancer. We keep it short but try to pray together every night before we fall asleep.
7. Work out. I have not exercised with any consistency since I found out I was pregnant! I'll have a bigger wardrobe and more energy if I can lose 10 lbs. My goal is to start small with 15 minutes a day.
8. Fix hot meals every night; even when I'm teaching, have something Jeff can put in the oven. I have 6 simple recipes to begin with. (Boring hot meal is better than no hot meal). Every month I'll add another recipe. That question "what's for dinner" will never make me cringe again. Or at least not as often.
9. Find time for crafts or creative things. This could be a sewing project, a musical composition, poem, drawing, decorating project, whatever.
10. Keep a biweekly "date night" with Jeff where we can discuss financial, spiritual, and mental wellbeing.

4 comments:

Laura said...

I love that you and Jeffrey have planning sessions-we really need to start that.

Great resolutions by the way-all of which I need to have (except for the French and guitar ones):-)

Emily said...

The planning sessions started out of necessity...we had too many fights over not communicating! They have helped a lot. :)

Elizabeth said...

I agree with Laura! I can use most of yours.
I have tons of easy recipes is you want some: just let me know. Maybe I'll post some, who knows. Do you have a crock pot? I've discovered its the best thing after working all day to come home to a hot meal thats ready!
Love ya cuz!

Emily said...

I do have a crock pot, and would love some recipes! I have a small cookbook but have already tried everything that looked good! Please do post...if you post a fave couple of recipes I'll post my quickie tried-n-true ones...Laura should post her yummy chicken chutney dish... :)