Wednesday, January 23, 2008

An Inspiration


Today one of my students, Ashley, may be going home to see her Father. Ashley is 13 and has been fighting liver and lung cancer for the last three and a half months. She is a creative, gifted girl who plays the classical guitar well after just a year and a half of lessons. She also puts her own poetry to music and enjoys drawing and painting. Ashley is beautiful and to see her you would think she is older than her 13 years. I can think of no single word that describes her better than "inspiration." Her diligence, intelligence and creativity are truly an inspiration to all who know her. When I began teaching at Berean I decided to hold a practice contest to help motivate my students. Each student was required to practice 30 minutes 5 times a week. Many did extra in an attempt to win the contest! Well, Ashley had my chart filled full of "points" very early in the semester. I ran out of space on the chart for her, while many other diligent students had practiced extra, yet still had half as many points. At one lesson she wryly told me that she hadn't put in as much time as usual, because her parents had told her to stop practicing so much!

In the year and a half that I taught her I watched her grow up from a little girl to a tall young woman. Beautiful inside and out, she always had a lot to bring to her lessons and was a special, extraordinary student. I enjoyed hearing her play a difficult piece at last year's recital. She memorized it and played well. This was after about 7 months, prior to which she had never played a note! To have such discipline at 12 and 13 is inspiring and humbling.

Since they found out the news that she had cancer, this family has been through so much. Ashley has endured procedures and pain and disappointment. Today, I had the honor of talking with her on the phone. I am so grateful to her mom for allowing me this privilege. I could hear the beep of the monitor and her voice, muffled from tubes and wires. I could not understand what she said clearly but they told me one of the things she said was "you don't get tired in Heaven." Praise God that heaven is real to her and that she will be there when God calls her home.

We've been praying for a miracle, for her healing. We knew that God would answer this one way or the other. Now as I think on the realities of Heaven I feel a bit jealous...if God wills she will soon be in His presence, walking the streets of that city and seeing the River that flows through it, being reunited with loved ones, complete in Christ and surrounded by the beauties of heaven. And becoming a far better guitarist than I will ever be.

Ashley, I am grateful to have known you and so proud of you. Our hearts go out to you and your family. You've taught us so much, and we love you.

8 comments:

Laura said...

What a wonderful testimony she has. Thank you for sharing about how she inspired you.
I'll be praying for her, her family, and for you.
Love you lots. (((HUGS)))

Emily said...

Thanks, Laura. She did pass away last night at 7:55 p.m. She was calm and peaceful the entire day, and looking forward to Heaven. I'm so, so proud of her. Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints.

Will said...

I'm so moved by your post, Em. Death is so bittersweet, isn't it? Thanks for sharing so tenderly.

Alison

Elizabeth said...

Thank you for your post. I too will be praying for you and her family. Love you, you eloquent thing.

Emily said...

Please pray for me tomorrow as I play the guitar at her funeral service. It's a duet we used to play a lot, and I'm recording one part tonight and playing the other live.
Most of you know I'm not firstly a guitarist (pianist by training) so please do pray!
God is so amazing! I can already see from talking with the family and friends at the viewing today that He is accomplishing many, many things through this. I think of Jeff's dad's death and the unexpected good things that came out of it. God does everything for a reason and He is so good.

Laura said...

Just checked back and am so sad for her family but happy for her that she is completely well now. If I'm not already too late (was the funeral today-Friday-or is it tomorrow?), I will be praying for your guitar playing.

rcsnickers said...

I am sorry for her family. What a great testimony she was and your friendship. I have been praying for you guys and everyone else I know hurting right now. Seems to be a long list.

Would of loved to hear the guitar duet you played! I am sure you did exceptionally well.

Praise God for eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord!

Emily said...

Thanks everyone for your prayers. The service went well. The family is going through so much right now...they came by Monday and brought flowers during Ashley's lesson time. The mom said that they now have a new ministry that they never asked for...comforting others who have lost a child. We never know how God will choose to use us, we just have to submit...her mom is a great example of faith to me!