Friday, January 18, 2008

Nursing Strike

Okay, it wasn't an official nursing strike because it didn't last two days or more, but it was weird. I'm glad it's over now. Benjamin refused to nurse all day today. He was definitely thirsty, because he took a bottle right away and drank it all, but every time I tried to feed him he screamed and cried. My theory is that I've been sneezing and coughing a lot while he's trying to eat. That combined with me sounding funny and not being very playful with him probably meant he wasn't liking me too much.
After Jeff and I had given him some extra attention and (Jeff especially) made him laugh a lot, he seemed less fussy. I tried nursing him again right after he woke up from a nap, while also walking around the room. It worked...yes!
Anyway, nursing strikes are a strange thing but it shows you that babies really are in tune to even little changes in their environment! Benjamin tends to pick up on my mood...if I'm grumpy, he gets fussy.
It's coming home to me that parenthood really is a sanctifying experience. You can't have a bad attitude. Or things get a lot worse! Like they say, if momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. And that leads to momma being MORE unhappy!

3 comments:

Laura said...

Awww, I'm so sorry-that must have been hard for all of you-glad Jeffrey could make him laugh and now he's latched back on. :-)
And yes, it is true that motherhood is a sanctifying experience!

Elizabeth said...

Glad the strike is over. Its nice that Jeffery was able to intervene and address some of Benjamin's concerns to end the strike...
I talked to both Abbie and Ruth. Their verdict as far as meds is over the counter: Sudafed and Tyelonol products. The doctor can prescribe baby safe antibiotics (Abbie had to do 2 times followed by Steriods) that help if taken appriopriately.

Emily said...

Thanks for getting that info for me! I'm over the lowgrade fever now but still coughing up stuff. If I'm not better by tomorrow I will see a doctor. It's been a week and a half and I'm missing a lot of work.