Thursday, January 17, 2008

Sick

I didn't know you could catch things through cyberspace, but apparently you can. Thanks Elizabeth and Abbie!! The incredibly sore throat started Monday after teaching, and I called in sick the next two days. This stuff is no joke. Monday and Tuesday my throat felt like someone had taken a cheese grater to it. Now it's better but I sound like a 60-year-old smoker. A man. Who sings bass.

On a positive note, we did get some snow last night! It's nearly melted now, but we did take a drive around the neighborhood (with Benjamin, and no he was not in his carseat, I'm a bad mom) to enjoy it.

I've never dealt with a sick baby while I'm also sick myself, so thought I'd share some things I never even imagined that I'm sure other moms are familiar with!

1. You can't cough while nursing. I found out the hard way, and scared Benjamin so bad he wouldn't nurse again for a half hour.

2. You can't get a tissue for your runny nose while nursing. Move over Emily Post, I'm using my sleeve. Or a burp cloth. Or whatever's close.

3. Don't try to talk too much to your baby. Your new bass voice will scare and confuse him. Then again so will the fact that you're not talking to him.

4. If baby is also sick, be prepared to sleep in several different locations and contorted positions. I started out in my bed, moved to the nursery floor in a sleeping bag, and finally ended up (in the wee hours) in the nursing chair holding him, with my arm almost falling off!

5. If baby is also sick, be prepared to also nurse on the run. The only thing that may comfort your baby is bouncing and patting him, while also nursing. Pacing the room in this position is lots of fun at 2 a.m!

6. You are tied to fussy baby for the duration of the fuss. If you're thirsty, tough. Need to go to the bathroom, sorry!

7. The cool thing is, that, no matter how frustrated you are at your baby or how exhausted you feel by the end of the night, you will forgive him the minute he flashes those gums at you the next morning!

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

How could you not adore those cheeks! He always looks so happy in all the pictures, and so do you! I'm so sorry you're sick. PLEASE go to the doctor b/c I didn't and had it 3 weeks. Jim and Abbie went through 2 rounds of antibiotics and ended up on steriods. On second thought, if you're breast feeding you can't really take anything...hmm, I'll ask Abster. I can't imagine taking care of an infant with this nasty thing. I feel for you and take no small comfort in the fact that I did NOT give this to you!!! Darn, I could have held Benjamin after all....
Love you! Miss you! Take Vitamin C and Zinc and PRAY ALOT. I'll be praying for you too.

rcsnickers said...

Sorry the two of you are sick...no fun and yes very tiring! Hope you are both well soon.

Is it just me, or does he look like Jonathan at this age? Maybe the smile.

He is so adorable!

Glad you got to enjoy the snow as we...

Emily said...

I'm taking Vit. C like it's going out of style...also forcing fluids! I did get a much better night's rest last night. Benjamin seems to be feeling pretty good. Jeff now has it and is coughing up junk.
Yes, please do ask Abbie what she did...? According to my internet searches I'm not even supposed to take Chloroseptic or certain cough drops!
Thanks for your prayers. Believe me, I am getting in some desperate prayer time, especially at night!
Usually I'd enjoy Jeff & me being home sick at the same time, but neither of us even has the energy to even watch a movie...bummer.
Letisha, other people have said there's some resemblance there too! Cool that you got snow as well. :)

Anonymous said...

That baby is just adorable. The dimples are matchless! But why am I surprised? =) Hope you're feeling better soon.

Emily said...

Thanks Nicole :) Good to hear from you...hope you're doing well!

Laura said...

So sorry you've been sick sweetie, but love the things you've learned. Especially "can't cought while nursing." Cute.
Love you lots!

Will said...

LOVE the picture! Hope you're feeling better!

Alison