Saturday, January 03, 2009

Gender Hinder, and The Holidays

Latest news on the Mystery Baby: ultrasound has been postponed because of scheduling difficulties until January 9th. Hopefully then we will find out 1) the gender and 2) an approximate due date. I am measuring 21 centimeters. Centimeters correspond roughly to weeks, so I'm about 4 months along. (I know, 20 weeks=5 months, but 40 weeks=10 months, so I'm actually just 4 months pregnant. Ugh, why does it have to be so confusing?)

We had a great holiday despite The Virus, which goes in two stages--smacking you upside the head twice. First the vomiting, then diarrhea. We were finally all over it by Christmas Eve, but not so much over it that we avoided passing it on to Jeff's mom and grandmom. We kept our germy selves in Greenville for an extra two days, not wanting to risk spreading it to my folks. Fortunately no one got sick there.

Benjamin really seemed to enjoy the holiday visits. He discovered squirrels at Jeff's mom's house, and enjoyed the neighborhood dogs as well as the donkey and mules down the road. He had fun taking a walk with Grandma and playing with the Little People she keeps at her house for him. At my parents' he enjoyed seeing real chickens (not just the ones on this sweet youtube video.) He was not at all scared of the horse and enjoyed feeding him carrots and apples. My dad loved taking him outside whenever he begged for it and letting him see the chickens once again!! Ella and Benjamin enjoyed riding in Ella's little red wagon. She pulled him most of the time. Benjamin was very interested in baby Caleb and touched him very gently on the head while we watched. Laura is doing a great job handling two little ones. Will and I had a rare moment of duo guitar playing. He had found the words to an old piece my grandparents used to play years ago. It was wonderful to make music together. I'm always wishing we lived closer to Laura and Will. We had some time with Laurance and Kimberly as well after they returned from visiting her parents. Jonathan and Benjamin did not quite know what to make of each other but they were definitely fascinated. Jonathan gave Benjamin a kiss and, boy, I wish I had had a videocamera to capture his expression. Indignation and surprise were written all over his face! Jonathan is a sweetie and has grown so much.

We're finally back home and it feels like we've been gone forever, though it was only 10 days. The first thing Benjamin did when he was back in his nursery was point at everything and open his drawers and closet. He even wanted to be put in his crib, where he hung out for some time. I think he's glad to be home!

3 comments:

rcsnickers said...

What precious pictures! I am glad that in spite of being sick you were able to see family and make wonderful memories!

oh guessing on gender... boy because I am always wrong! :)

Elizabeth said...

I love the pictures! I'm so sorry you were sick but able to get through it! I really really missed seeing you this year. We will do better. Can't wait to find out about your new one! ((((girl)))) and miss you lots! Love you cuz!

Laura said...

Love the pictures! Glad Jeff managed to get a good one that night of you reading to the kids. Already missing you!