Friday, January 02, 2009

Books for 2008

Jeff told me I should catalog the books I've read for 2008. He keeps a running list for me on Keynote with the book read and month finished. As Benjamin gets older and more mobile, my list begins to shrink! I put an asterisk by books I especially enjoyed.

  1. L'Abri by Edith Schaeffer

  2. * Singing Wheels by Alice and Jerry Brooks
  3. (a childhood favorite with wonderful illustrations...now out of print, but found one on ebay!)
  4. A Life That Says Welcome by Karen Ehman

  5. * Grace Like a River by Christopher Parkening

  6. Too Small to Ignore: Why Children are the Next Big Thing by Wes Stafford

  7. 1066 and All That by W.C. Sellar and R.J. Yeatman

  8. * Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver

  9. To Train Up a Child by Michael Pearl

  10. Mauritius Command by Patrick O'Brian

  11. Infant Massage by Vimala McClure

  12. The Attachment Parenting Book by William and Martha Sears

  13. * Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community, and War by Nathaniel Philbrick

  14. Heritage of Britain by A.L. Rowse

  15. * The Woman in White by Wilke Collins

  16. * Sir Gawain and the Green Knight by Anonymous

  17. * Pamela by Samuel Richardson

  18. The Making of England by C. Warren Hollister

  19. The Time of Your Life: Finding God's Rest in Your Busy Schedule by Susie Davis

  20. The Fruit of Her Hands by Nancy Wilson

  21. * From My Grandmother's Trunk compiled by Cora Martin

  22. The Old Testament (English Standard Version)

  23. The Gospels and Acts (English Standard Version)

4 comments:

Erin said...

You read to Train up a Child? That's a scary, horrid, abusive, totally non-scriptural book!!! (though you probably figured that out real quick already)

I've been keeping track of every book I've read since Jan of 1992, and hit book #729 by Dec 31st. It's neat to go back and see what the interests were at the time.

Emily said...

Wow...729?? How does that average out per year? Seems like a lot! Are you a fast reader though? Jeff reads more slowly than me but remembers more. I read fast and skim sometimes.
I definitely don't agree with everything from TTUAC, but I think a lot of the problem is that Michael Pearl tends to overstate to make a point. We watched some videos he made and they seemed ok. I like his idea of tying cords of fellowship with your child by spending lots of time with them...having adventures, teaching them things, basically enjoying and including them in every part of your life. He definitely goes for a reaction and in that process goes over the top. I think he is probably a good father and grandparent, but he has an angry streak and especially gets annoyed at modern "brats" (wonder if being an ex-Navy Seal has anything to do with it?) He vents, but basically I don't think he's a horrible person. I don't think he was abusive with his own kids. In an article by his daughter she says they were rarely spanked past age 8. I guess I've learned by now not to be a disciple of any parenting movement!! It's tempting to subscribe to one style of parenting but that's the easy way out...that's why it's great to read a lot of books on parenting and compare them all to scripture. (in case of the Pearls, I think Michael could use a good dose of I Cor. 13 love, and a bit of humility!) There are a million different kids and situations and personalities out there. There's no way one book has all the answers.
Now I've convinced myself that I need to pray more for wisdom in parenting my children. :D

Emily said...

Um, I guess I mean there is only ONE book with all the answers. :)

Erin said...

Averages out to about 40 books a year but I've slowed way down now that I have 4 kids and other stuff to do :)

And yes there's only one book LOL