Thursday, May 07, 2009

Baby Update

I think this one won't be late. I had a checkup today and the baby has dropped and I'm 2 cm. Of course that doesn't mean anything really...many people walk around for two weeks at 2 cm, but then again it could mean something. I was carrying this baby low anyway, and now it feels like she's in my lap! I've lost two pounds, which sometimes happens in the last month. And...the Group B test came back positive, but I feel pretty sure we can get rid of it before the birth (we were successful with Benjamin).

It will be interesting to see how things turn out with the timing!

5 comments:

Nicole said...

Group B? What's that?

Alissa said...

I didn't know you could get rid of it? How...other than antibiotics?....from another positive GBS pregnant mommy :)

Emily said...

Group B Strep is a bacteria found "down there" normally in some people. It doesn't harm you and you would never notice it, but there is a very small chance that your baby could contract it while being born. This could cause anything from a fever to even death (from pneumonia, sepsis, or meningitis). Many people opt to have intravenous antibiotics while they are in labor to prevent an infection in the baby.
My midwife recommends douching with Hibiclens (an antiseptic...I think you can get it over the counter). I'm always amazed that the medical world does not try this before an expensive round of antibiotics! I used this at 37 wks. when Benjamin was born and took two follow-up tests for Group B which were both negative. Here's what you do: empty a drugstore douche and fill it with about a centimeter of Hibiclens. Fill the rest with water. Use it every other day, stopping 24 hours before your next Group B test. Alissa I don't know if you will be able to retest or not but it really worked for me and may be worth a try for your peace of mind! Good luck on your pregnancy & birth!

Emily said...

Forgot to say, I don't know if you are supposed to use it more than a week...I only did a week.

Alissa said...

Thanks for the info! I will have to check that out. I was on intravenous antibiotics with my first three deliveries....it would be nice not to have to do that again.