Wednesday, January 10, 2007

A Scare

This pregnancy thing is stressful!! Today I had an awful scare I hope I never have again. I was having sharp pain on my left side, so I went in today to have it checked out. My doctor said it could possibly be an ectopic pregnancy (basically the only option is to abort...the baby is growing in the wrong place). She wanted to rule that out as soon as possible, so she told me I need to go in for an ultrasound. They started to schedule me for that same afternoon. Still not that alarmed by the situation, I told them that wouldn't work because that I would miss teaching my afternoon lessons. They said it didn't matter, that I needed to get it done RIGHT AWAY, and went ahead and called it in for 2:30 at Emory Medical. That "right away" really scared me. The next three hours of waiting to go to my appointment were some of the worst of my life. I kept trying to think about what was true; that God was still in control and that there was no use worrying when I didn't know all the facts.

To my great relief, the technician said that everything was normal, that a ruptured cyst was the cause of the pain, that it was even somewhat normal (normal?? since when is a cyst normal) and would not affect anything. She was even--to her surprise--able to get a ultrasound picture of our Rice Baby. He's just the size of a cooked grain of rice, and she said he was exactly on the average for size at 6 weeks. So instead of coming home with awful news, I came home with a picture of our developing baby! I can't even describe the feeling of looking at that ultrasound as she showed me our "blip" on the screen. It suddenly seemed very real that I will have the privilege of bringing a little person into the world and being the single most important person in his little life.

Rice Baby...you can see the arrow (though it's pretty faint). He's shaped like a bean. Amazing that this tiny little person already has a beating heart and vocal chords! Wonder if he's singing in there....

12 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I got chills: for some reason I felt the need to pray for your baby this morning all morning! So glad everything is ok. You're going to be a great mom.

Emily said...

Wow. Thanks so much for your prayers. I guess God knew I needed strength that morning. It's so good to know He's in control of all this!

Laura said...

That's the cutest little rice baby! "He" even has arm buds and quite a cute tail! :-)

rcsnickers said...

Oh wow, I am sorry for your scare, glad little rice baby is okay, pray that he/she continues to grow and be healthy!

My SIL just a few weeks ago found out she had an ectopic pregnancy. Such a hard time and scary situation.

Letisha

rcsnickers said...

Oh I forgot, she had a cyst too. A lot of pain and it ruptured. That is how she found out she was pregnant in the first place. Then she later found out it was in the FT not the uterus.

Letisha

Emily said...

How awful. I really feel for her. I will be praying...I know a little how it feels. Will they have to remove the section of FP surgically, or can they do the methotextrate shot?

rcsnickers said...

Her HCG levels were dropping meaning the baby had died but then it started to rise again. They did go with the shot -- hated it. She did not have to have it removed surgically.

Thanks for your prayers.

Letisha

Emily said...

I'm so sorry. It must be so hard to agree to the shot. At least it was non-invasive though and her future fertility is not affected. I'll keep praying.

Elizabeth said...

OK little cousin, we need a new post so I stop having a heart attack everytime I see A Scare on you website!!! MiniEmmie is still fine, right? (play on the little Emily vs big emily, get it?) Its a stretch, I know, but rice is flexible, no?

Elizabeth said...

By the way, I read Jeff's blog and about died when I read his comment about being glad the baby speaks English (Hi mom) hehehehehe

rcsnickers said...

Just rereading this for assurance on my part. Did you bleed or just the sharp pain?

Please be in prayer for us, yes today Resurection Sunday. I notice brown mucous when I go to the bathroom. I have no pain and no bleeding. I am not sure what is gong on. I am trying so hard not to worry. Thanks.

Letisha

rcsnickers said...

Hope that last comment from me was not too much info! It has stopped and most likely from implantation bleeding. I am doing fine. Thanks for your prayers!

Letisha