Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Two more months!

I'm having a hard time just resting in the Lord and waiting for the next two months to pass. I just can't wait to move in and get settled. I'm thinking about all my neglected furniture sitting there in storage unused, and all that lovely SPACE in our house, and it makes me antsy. And, of course, this morning I looked at Elizabeth's blog and saw her gorgeously decorated house, and had to swallow down my impatience again! :)
There are a few things I can do in the meantime to get us ready to move in. (NOT pack everything...thank goodness it's all labelled and boxed in storage!) But I measured the windows, so I can get started on the curtains we'll need right away for privacy. We loved the model home decorations, so I'm basing my curtains on theirs. I found a website for easy lined drapes: http://sewing.about.com/library/weekly/aa020106.htm.
Model home curtains. Simple, but they look great. The pictures don't do them justice.



























We've decided on the nursery colors and theme. We wanted to do something a little different than the traditional pink or blue, so we decided on pale yellow with sage green accents. I was at least partly influenced in my choice by the lovely yellow walls in Ella's nursery! I love the brightness. An instant pick-me-up. Of course we all know nurseries are decorated for the PARENTS, because the kid has no clue about color schemes. :D The theme I chose is "ducks and chicks."
We decided on plain yellow bedding, and Jeff will provide the chick artwork on the walls! (I'm forcing him to do some non-computer related art--he's says he's not good at it--pshaw--what were all those drawing/painting classes for anyway?)

I like the chicks, but ack, too busy!!















Plain yellow is better.

8 comments:

Laura said...

aw-nursery themes-there's nothing a love to talk about more. :-)

Love the yellow/green/duck theme. And you're right-bright yellow walls are a definite pick-me-up. Ella's room is my favorite room in the house!

I agree the first pic is too much, but maybe you could just get a couple things-the diaper holder or just the quilt for accent pieces.

I love that Jeff's going to do some wall designs-that will look so great!

And so happy that you found curtain designs so that will keep you busy for a few weeks, right? They look great. Then, another month will have passed and you'll be that much closer to moving in!

Emily said...

I'll have to see if I can buy some of the items separately. They come as a set, but maybe I can find them somewhere else listed individually.
One of Jeff's friends who lives in Columbia said he got Baby Bjorn, Eddie Bauer, and other expensive brand name items just lying on the side of the road! I don't think we'll have that kind of luck here, but we're going to try some of the consignment shops!
A question for you: do you use your glider footstool? I was thinking of just buying the glider and purchasing a $25 nursing stool from Amazon (have you seen those)?
I can't wait to get some material and get started on the curtains! It will make the time go faster. :)

Erin said...

That is sooo cute! So you're not going to find out the sex then?

Aren't you a little concerned about the heavy chemicals in the house for the rest of the pregnancy and for a newborn? You might want to look into what you can carpet/paint/etc with that won't off-gas. Just a thought.

Elizabeth said...

Love the house and nursery photos! The yellow is calming and soothing, so those late night feedings will go more smoothly...
Love Laura's idea about finding some of the items individually: do you have a Home Goods? They have some ducky stuff thats not too over the top that you can get individually and its new, clean, non- chemically treated...
Make sure your air filters are changed at least a week before you move in, and there are some chemical test strips for the house before you move in if you really want, but luckily you'll be past the point where most birth defects happen from exposure. Your home will be safe and perfect, I'm sure. So happy for you!

Laura said...

Em-
Our ottoman came w/a nursing stool that pulls out. I use the nursing stool a lot now but also prop my feet on the ottoman some. Funny-I didn't use it as much when she was little-it just didn't feel comfortable for me,but now it does.
Soooo....all that to say, it would probably be enough for you if you don't want to spend the money for a combined ottoman/nursing stool.

rcsnickers said...

I'm a tad slow here... are the room pictures from the model home or online? Nursing stools? I do not believe I have seen those.

thanks for bringing me up to date. :)


Letisha

Nene said...

I love the theme for the nursery! Just precious! I'm so glad you've found something to keep yourself busy...these next two months will fly by!!

Emily said...

Erin...I'm going to stay away from the painting (Jeff will do that) and the paint job will be more than a month old when we move in. Also, with the spring weather we'll leave the windows open as much as possible. The slightest smells bother me anyway, so believe me I'll keep the house open! Downstairs is all hardwood, and Jeff tells me they no longer use formaldehyde in wood preservation. Thanks for your concern! Oh, and we will find out the sex, just neither of us crazy about pink or blue. Makes it easier for a next kid too. :)
Elizabeth...good point...we'll make sure the air filters get changed frequently, esp at first with all that sheetrock dust etc!
Laura...thanks for the advice about the glider. If I can get a good price I may get both. :)
Letisha...the pics are from online. Here's the nursing stool...doesn't look like much but people swear by it! It's used instead of a glider footstool. Medela stool http://www.amazon.com/Medela-Nursing-Stool/dp/B000056JIH/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-5117870-8678455?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1173808823&sr=8-1