Saturday, March 17, 2007

A fun Saturday

It was sunny and clear, though pretty windy, so Jeff and I decided to spend the day outside. We couldn't resist going out to our house again (second time this week!) to see the progress. These men are machines! The wood flooring, all the plumbing, counter tops in kitchen and bathrooms, tile in master bath, linoleum--all this was done in two days!! I posted a few pictures below. The outside bricking is almost done.
After checking out the house, we explored yet another trail at Tribble Mill. This one led us to the old mill...we had fun exploring the stone foundations and the rusted old millwheel. Then we went poking around in Home Depot for rugs and paint chips. We found the perfect color for the nursery, Champagne Dance. It's very pale yellow and doesn't look green, even in flourescent light. I was also snagged by the seed display near the checkout line. Jeff let me buy a few seed packets so that my itchy fingers would stay away from the potted flowers. :) Every year I seem to have a specific "color lust"--last year it was blue flowers, this year it's lavenders and purples. I bought lavender and violet zinnias (the dumb gardener's flower...tough as leather and bloom within a month), some morning glories for around the mailbox, forget-me-nots for the shady spots in the back of the house, and "Convulvus"--big purple flowers that look like morning glories, with yellow centers. I keep looking them over, gloating over my treasures...Jeff just laughs at me!
God is so good to us, and I'm thankful for all the blessings we have done nothing to deserve. Even His beautiful world is a much larger blessing than we could ever ask for. Jeff and I spent the day thanking Him for His lovingkindness!













10 comments:

Elizabeth said...

What a huge and gorgeous home!!! I love the moldings and the floors and on and on...You did good little cousin.
The park is amazing. The more pictures you post, the more I want to go there. I can't wait for you to move in!
One lesson I learned the hard way with a new home: install heavy duty, durable and well installed curtain rods. We got some cheap ones that we had to replace twice, and the more you change the curtains, the weaker they get.
This time, we're going to do blinds and slowly sew curtains (I LOVE the ones you posted: we can definitely make those without a pattern) Did I tell you that the temporary shades are a nightmare to unstick? Think razor blades and goo gone and prayer...
Kris is really good at installing blinds, so put him to work if we come. Oh, Abbie read something about not doing blinds in kids rooms b/c they can get hurt. OK, thats all for now. Can't wait to see your gorgeous home in person.

Elizabeth said...

By the way, now I know where my portion of the family green thumb went: to you! I have no ability or desire, quite honestly, to mess with plants. Maybe thats because I've been through 4, yes 4 rounds of plants in my front bed. Eventually found out that they had mixed all kinds of metal and other products into the bed. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it. Kris calls me the plant grim reaper. They wilt if I look at them too long and try to run away if they are in my possession.

Emily said...

Hah! But even you could plant the zinnias. The non-destructo flower. :) But anyway, it's really not your fault you couldn't grow anything! I've heard that on construction sites the soil is almost impossible to grow anything on. It's clay from way underneath and there's no topsoil. Not surprised you found metal and junk in your bed. We found brick pieces, concrete, nails and screws etc. We had to do bags and bags of garden soil and fertilizer...it's a lot of trouble if you don't like doing it! And maybe you were ruined by the forced labor in your dad's vegetable garden....? :D

Being a cheapster, I'd have gone with skinny Walmart rods, but Jeff would agree with you...he wants something more sturdy and permanent. We probably will end up doing mini-blinds as a temporary fix. I'm starting to realize I probably need to wait on making the curtains...there's no place to really spread them out and work. So, I'm savin' a bunch for us to work on when you come!! Can't wait to go hiking with you too!

Laura said...

How exciting to see your house come along-it's almost time! Yay! Love the pic of Jeff "smoking" the flower! And what great ideas for your flowers-it will be lovely, I know.

And so jealous of your wonderful park!

Erin said...

WOW! How many square feet is it? Will you have room to host large families? =)

I guess I can be a little jealous... we live in 650 sq ft! I would love to have a garden, flowers to plant, storage space, etc.

Oh and what Elizabeth said is true about the curtain rods... after was episode, we decided to put the money into it and not more fiascos.

Oh, and I made my curtains, too. I spent over $200 on the fabrics (for the whole place) but to buy the same would've been over $1000!

Emily said...

Laura, you have to come visit, okay? Jeff is excited about going fishing with Willie, and has even been scoping out some spots he thinks look like good fishin' holes! And Ella will be in slide heaven with the playground!
Erin...we are really spoiled with the prices of housing here (from what I hear compared to Florida or anywhere up north). It's 3600 sq. ft. So yes, please, come and visit with your large family!! :D There is a guest room downstairs and another smaller one upstairs. The yard is pretty small, but room enough for a container veg. garden in the back and some flower beds in the front.
Cool that you made your own curtains. I didn't know you could sew. What kind of material did you use? I bet you found some nice fabrics there in Thailand.

Nene said...

Emily, what a beautiful home! I'm so excited for you!!! 3600 sq. ft. to do "the happy dance"...you're gonna be doin' a whole lotta dancin', girl! :)

Will said...

Woot!

What a gorgeous house. God is good to share gifts with people who are so grateful for them. It's almost like giving a gift to all of us.

Emily said...

Thanks Will...I hope we remain in awe of God's goodness to us. Can't wait to have you and Alison over in a few weeks.

rcsnickers said...

The house looks great! You will be living in it in no time. You are pretty frugal I must say. I can imagine the beautiful flowers all around your house! You will be "SuperMom 2!"

Agree with Laura -- Love the picture of Jeff smoking the flower. Too funny.

Letisha