Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Spring and Christians

I think my moods are affected a lot by the weather! This winter I have been more ready than usual for spring. Things are starting to bloom and my hands are itching to plant something! I'm avoiding Home Depot and the Walmart garden section because once in, I can't resist buying something colorful and pretty! I'm glad God creates so much beauty in the world. It reminds me of His hand at work and His beauty, even admid ugliness...everything is still brown except for a few beautiful, blooming trees.
I think followers of Christ are supposed to be like that. In a world of ugly things we're supposed to stand out and draw people. I met a family that showed Christ's beauty so clearly yesterday. They are from Romania, and the two boys will probably be taking piano lessons with me...and they are really delightful boys, 13 and 10. (This is usually not a delightful age!) When she was a little girl, their mother heard that the president of the United States was a Christian. She was amazed and from then on prayed every night that she could come to America some day. They have been here 11 years now. She told me story after story of answered prayer...she could not find a job for a very long time, and got the kids and her husband to pray...finally found a very good job in a lab, testing for pollutants. Her kids now tell everyone "my mom has a really good job!" because they've seen God answer prayer firsthand. Her youngest boy had meningitis and TB when he was 2, and they happened to be visiting in Romania. The doctor gave him a 0% chance to live. He lived, though, but was totally blind. The doctor said he'd be blind and mentally/physically handicapped his entire life, but God gave her peace about it and she knew he'd be okay. She went in to check his vision. He could see! She brought in the doctor and they tested his vision. He steadily improved over the next few months. Now, he is a normal, vivacious kid with dimples and a quick smile! This family prays about everything, and the boys are an outspoken witness in their public school. The youngest had to stand against the wall for saying his favorite subject was the Bible. The oldest explained the story of Creation to his friends when the class talked about evolution. They're not a bit shy, and I found myself really enjoying their company in a way I enjoy few new acquaintances' company! I really want my kids to be like these two boys. And I'm really looking forward to having them as students...they also want to take in the summer, which is a bonus for me!
I was rebuked and uplifted talking to them...how many times do I forget to take simple problems and requests to God in childlike faith? I have such a cynical, self-sufficient attitude at times! Meeting this lovely family was a breath of fresh air to me...like the scent of flowers in spring. :)

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

What a lovely family! I'm so glad you've met them and have some students as well. Did I tell you Kris wants to see a baseball game in Atlanta May or August? We'll have to see what happens with the move. I am the same way and have recently been learning all kinds of new lessons. Thanks for sharing!

Emily said...

No...that would be great! You have to come stay with us! Jeff may even be able to get you free tickets from Turner (fingers crossed--they get snatched up quick.)
I'll keep your moving decisions in prayer. I really love that house for y'all and am praying you'll get it...but if not God has something just as good. :)

Laura said...

They do sound so lovely. And you're right-we should stand out like bright flowers for Christ-like the verse that talks about us being a sweet savor of Christ.

Emily said...

Laura...exactly the verse that came to mind: "a sweet savor!"

Nene said...

So glad you have such wonderful students to teach! Thanks for sharing such a sweet story...God definitely answers prayers!!