Thursday, September 20, 2007

2 weeks overdue

Two weeks overdue today, but I just can't bring myself to be panicked for Benjamin's health when he's moving like a little jumping bean! Every time I eat something he goes crazy. I feel fine, Benjamin seems fine, so just because it's the magical "2 weeks" date I want to be careful not to be panicked to get things started. Caucasian women tend to carry longer than 40 weeks. In France, the length of pregnancy is considered 42 weeks.
I've been told that "I would already have my baby by now" if I were at a hospital. Well, maybe so and maybe not. I have heard enough stories of 36-hour failed inductions when the cervix is not a good way there already. It's not unheard of for women to come back for three all-day sessions of Pitocin, only to have nothing happen (except a lot of unnecessary pain). I might have my baby by now, yes, but it might be because the doctors got tired of waiting and performed a C-section.
My thinking is that, if there is no emergency, why let a passing date dictate what you do? I meet with my doctor and midwife tomorrow to discuss moving things along. If there are no medical reasons to induce (aging placenta, low fluid levels, preclampsia), then I see no reason to interfere. The interventions themselves carry risks. Cytotec, the ulcer drug that is used off-label for induction, is not approved by the FDA and has caused uterine rupture (and maternal and fetal death in some cases). In fact, the producer of the drug issued an official warning against using it for induction, but it is still used because of its low cost and quick results. Cervidil is a better choice but carries the same small risks of uterine rupture. Pitocin, unlike the other two, can be more easily regulated...but then again it only causes contractions, doesn't soften the cervix, so it may not work if the cervix is not already ripe.
I am open to doing another ultrasound to see if all is still well in there. I keep thinking...if my date of conception was a bit later than we thought, and I tend to be a longer carrier, Benjamin might just be right on time.

4 comments:

Erin said...

Emily,

I am so so proud of you. You're making great decisions and not freaking out! Sometimes that's hard to do when you're being given opinions from everyone and not actual facts. You must be so tired, but the end is in sight.

Most midwives are required to transfer care at 42 weeks. Are you with an OB now or seeing both? So glad you have not gone the hospital route at this point!

Much love to you (and Jeff!),
Erin

Laura said...

Ditto to what Erin said-I am so proud of you too-you've done your homework and you know what is best for you and your baby! See, you're already a super mom!

I'll be praying the appt.goes well today. :-)
Love you!

Erin said...

Make sure you have your mom call us with the news... every time the phone rings I think it's the big announcement =)

Erin

(How's Jeff holding up to all this?)

Emily said...

Jeff's been great and very supportive! I'm glad he's not a worrier at all and is matter-of-fact about everything. His mom has been great, too, just allowing us to wait things out. Thanks for your prayers and your message, Laura :) Everything went fine & I'll post an update.