Friday, September 14, 2007

Update

Still waiting! Last night I thought it might be the real thing, since after dinner I was having some pretty strong Braxton Hicks, but they went away and this morning I'm feeling fine.

Yesterday at my appointment I found out I am not dilated at all (it is normal to walk around for a couple of weeks dilated 1-2 cm, but not me!). The arrhythmia was especially pronounced yesterday, so the midwife called in an ultrasound to check on that, measure amniotic fluid and check the placenta grade. The placenta ages after a time and becomes less efficient at nourishing the baby. Again they said the heart structure seems normal, and though they couldn't get an entirely good look at the aorta because his ribs were obstructing the view, the overall report was reassuring. They hooked me up to the fetal monitor for a long time to observe the heartrate. Again they said the results were as expected, and also told me I was having some light contractions. Apparently I can't feel them! The heart structure is normal, but the nervous system is not yet regulating the beats perfectly. It should disappear shortly after birth, but we'll have it checked out afterward if not. The amniotic fluid levels were normal, and placenta grade was good. They estimated his weight at 7 lbs, 13 oz. There is not really a question that my dates are wrong. He's just taking an extra week or so to be ready.

I'm taking evening primrose oil, which can sometimes move things along.

We're staying here in Greenville for the next few days with Jeff's mom, since Jeff is working from home. My parents are here since they can't visit after this Saturday night. I'll spend some time with them while Jeff works.

We are praying that Benjamin will come before Sunday, for so many reasons...parents being here, friends leaving the country Monday, and the dilemma of deciding whether to go back to Atlanta or not. I get 4 weeks off and would hate to waste one just waiting. If nothing is happening by Sunday night, I will feel like I need to go back and teach another three days. It would be nice not to have to do that! :)

3 comments:

rcsnickers said...

Yes we are praying for you! Glad you are staying in Greenville with Jeff's Mom. Plus it is a short drive for your parents to see you guys... and hopefully Benjamin!!! :)

Letisha

Emily said...

Thanks Letisha...I appreciate your prayers for patience esp. since you understand how hard it is to wait. I'm trying to stay busy!

Laura said...

So glad the ultrasound still checked out okay. I'm sure you're going to have an 8lb. baby. But no worries, you can handle it. :-)
I also took evening primose-forgot to tell you that-but only took a couple before Ella came. Not saying it was that-I'm not sure it works that fast but she was just ready.

Praying for y'all! Say hello to mom and dad for us.